Sisterhood of St John the Divine
The Sisterhood of St. John the Divine is a contemporary expression of the religious life for women within the Anglican Church of Canada. Founded in 1884 in Toronto, we are a prayer and gospel-centred community bound together by the call to live out our baptismal covenant.
Nurtured by our founding vision of prayer, community and ministry, we are open to the needs of the church and the contemporary world. Called to be a sign of Christ, the sisterhood witnesses to the power of Christ’s reconciling and forgiving love through the gospel imperatives of prayer, spiritual guidance, justice, peace, care of creation, hospitality, ministering to those in need, promoting unity, healing and wholeness.
Invited to be a praying presence in the diocese, the sisters are committed to:
- praying for the diocese
- visiting and praying with congregations
- speaking about the religious life and providing opportunities for others to share in our lifestyle
- leading retreats, quiet days, workshops and preaching
- providing spiritual direction
- participating on diocesan committees
- reaching out to other western provinces as time and opportunity allow
- volunteering in a parish or community as time allows
- providing hospitality
- being a resource for parishes, especially on prayer
All are invited to join us for Morning Prayer (8:30am), Evening Prayer (5pm), Compline (7:15pm) or the Eucharist (Tuesday noon, Friday noon, and Thursday 5pm). Please call to make sure we are not at a diocesan event.
The sisters' ministry is financially supported, in part, by the diocese which provides our accommodation and a contribution toward our food; in part through honoraria that the sisters receive from mission work, and in major part from the financial support received from parishes or associates and oblates, individuals and friends who value the religious life within the church.
Want to Explore New Monasticm?
The Sisters of Saint John the Divine invites women aged 22-50 to travel as companions along an anceint path for one year, beginning September 2017. Download the brochure to learn more.
Available Files to Download
To download, right-click the file and select "Save link as".